Haoliang Xu, Assistant Administrator and Director of RBAP
Haoliang Xu of China was appointed Assistant Secretary-General, Assistant Administrator and Director of the Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in September 2013.
Mr. Xu has many years of distinguished service within UNDP, holding various leadership positions, most recently as Deputy Regional Director of the Regional Bureau for Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States in New York since 2010.
Prior to this he served as UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative in Kazakhstan (2007–2010) and as Country Director, Pakistan (2005–2007).
Previous roles include:
- Deputy Resident Representative for Programme, Pakistan (2004–2005);
- Country Manager/Senior Deputy Resident Representative, UNDP Timor-Leste (2002–2004);
- Deputy Resident Representative, UNDP Iran (2000-2002);
- Programme Manager, Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific, New York (1997-1999);
- Programme Officer/Junior Professional Officer, UNDP Kazakhstan (1997-1999);
- Associate Project Management Officer (UNOPS Consultant), Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS, New York (1994-1995);
- Research Assistant/Consultant, UNCDF, New York (1994);
- Internships in World Alliance of YMCAs, Asian Development Bank, UNOPS and UNCDF (1991-1993); and
- Specialized work in Civil Engineering in Louis Berger International Inc., Haixin Corporation and Tangji University (1983-1992).
Mr. Xu has a Bachelor of Engineering from Tongji University in Shanghai, and a Master of Science in Management from the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, New Jersey, United States of America. He also has a Master of International Affairs in Economic Development and Policy Analysis from Colombia University in New York, United States of America.