Challenges in Asia and the Pacific
Democratic governance challenges in the Asia-Pacific region are diverse, ranging from inequitable service delivery to information in bureaucratic cultures, weaknesses in parliamentary oversight, lack of equal access to justice and exclusion of marginalized groups, such as indigenous peoples. The ongoing global economic crisis and compounded democracy deficits in Asia-Pacific have, in turn deterred the attainment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG).
How we address these challenges
Ensuring people’s participation in decision-making processes and establishing accountable and responsive governing institutions are at the heart of sustained human development and achieving the MDG. Reflecting on these governance deficits, UNDP focuses its regional efforts in delivering public services and on the MDG, based on the following approaches:
- Interventions to help national governments apply otherwise politically sensitive principles in democratic governance (such as in human rights, gender equality, accountability and transparency, and the links between governance and peace-building);
- Long-term engagement in provision of advisory services to countries to help develop and implement effective democratic governance policies and programmes;
- Development, application and exchange of knowledge to foster innovation and influence global policy development.
UNDP's work in democratic governance is initiated at the request of governments and provided through strengthening core institutions at all levels: national, regional and local/decentralized. Helping the governments strengthen their own institutions is at the centre of our strategy. It ensures sustainability and ownership of results, as well as forges partnerships with international, national and local stakeholders to leverage resources.
- 08 Apr 2015:Equal rights are not special rights, say speakers at LGBTI regional dialogue
- 25 Mar 2015:Stronger together: A look back at the Regional Dialogue on LGBTI Human Rights and Health in Asia-Pacific
- 09 Dec 2014:Low political will and poor coordination hold back anti-corruption efforts in Asia and the Pacific, says UNDP Report