UNDP commits to Trade Pasifika 2014
(Suva, Fiji) – Following a successful first regional trade expo in the Pacific by Pacific businesses in 2012, the United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) today signed a Memorandum of Understanding for continued support for the 2014 expo.
The regional trade event will be held at the Vodafone Arena in Suva, Fiji from 2-4 April 2014, with the theme ‘Exporting for Growth, It's everyone's business’.
Trade Pasifika 2014 will showcase Pacific agriculture, aquaculture and tourism products from 17 Pacific Island countries.
At the signing ceremony held today in Suva, Ambassador of Trade Pasifika 2014 and Chair of the Trade Pasifika Steering Committee, Kaliopate Tavola, said “Trade Pasifika 2014 Steering Committee is most grateful to UNDP Pacific Centre, particularly to Dr. Asif Chida, for the initial conceptualization of Trade Pasifika way back in late 2011. UNDP was not only instrumental in the conceptualization, but also allocated much needed resources thus enabling the transformation of an idea to reality. The additional idea of support for Women in Business also originated from UNDP Pacific Centre”.
Peter Batchelor, UNDP Pacific Centre Manager, said as a founding member of Trade Pasifika, UNDP is proud to continue to support the regional trade expo.
“UNDP’s support to Trade Pasifika is aligned to the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) Acceleration Framework Plan to engage private sector for creating business and employment opportunities.
“The overall vision of UNDP’s work with private sector is to contribute to empowering lives and building resilient nations, and focus on how the private sector and markets can contribute to economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable human development. To achieve this UNDP advocates inclusive growth of business and promotes inclusive market development by building relationships, partnerships and new alliances and coalitions at country, regional and global levels.”
“The Trade Pasifika 2014 Steering Committee hopes for continued collaboration with UNDP Pacific Centre in the future,” Tavola said. He added that regional private sector organizations and individual operators in the Pacific are fortunate for the very strong support from this United Nations agency.
UNDP and the Pacific Islands Private Sector Organisation (PIPSO) are founding members of Trade Pasifika. Trade Pasifika is envisaged as providing an excellent opportunity for the region’s businesses including small and medium enterprises to participate and promote their products and services to potential customers within and outside the region.
Sheryl Ho, Knowledge Communications Analyst, tel: +679 3227504; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Inoke Bainimarama, Trade Pasifika 2014 Event Coordinator, mobile: +679 9759045; email: email@example.com
- 26 Aug 2016:UNDP and Global Initiatives to co-organise Responsible Business Forum on Sustainable Development 2016
- 16 Aug 2016:Unlocking youth potential, planning for the coming era of ageing, are key to sustainable future for Asia-Pacific
- 27 Jul 2016:Top 'open government' initiatives from Asia Pacific showcased at regional dialogue
- The Food Bank initiative which is designed to assist communities prepare for and recover from disasters, was handed over to the Naviti communities in the Yasawa group of islands in a handover ceremony that was held yesterday in Kese village. As the name suggests, the Food Bank is the combination of two approaches; food as a basic need for communities to survive on and the bank concept of pooling savings as deposits to prepare for a rainy day. The initiative was introduced and trialed in Soso and Kese villages by Vinaka Fiji Trust, the charity arm of South Sea Cruises in 2014. 26 August AT 12:15 AM
- 'In the Pacific, hundreds of humanitarian workers continue to devote their service during the response and the ongoing recovery effort of TC Winston in Fiji, including ongoing recovery work to the drought brought in by the long El Nino event in the Marshall Islands, Palau and Federated States of Micronesia..' #Sharehumanity 18 August AT 10:15 PM
- "See more posts on"Facebook