100 Asian peace champions gather to honor women heroes from conflict zonesOct 21, 2013
Bangkok–Women leaders and peace champions from Asia will come together on 22 October 2013 in Bangkok, Thailand, for the N-Peace Awards Ceremony & Leadership Forum for Peace hosted by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
Veronica Pedrosa, award winning journalist and Al Jazeera broadcaster, will MC the event honoring eight N-Peace Awards recipients who have made dramatic changes towards peace and reconciliation in Afghanistan, Indonesia, Nepal, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Timor-Leste.
The event will include a live debate and discussion on advancing Asian women’s role in conflict prevention, resolution and peace building, with leading activists and experts from Myanmar, Pakistan and India. Ambassador Anwarul K. Chowdhury, former Under-Secretary-General and prominent champion of women's leadership for peace will also be speaking at the forum.
The N-Peace Awards, initiated two years ago, shine a light on women who demonstrate leadership in building peace and men who work with women for gender equality. This high-level event will conclude an annual regional campaign promoting over 90 peace advocates in Asia, whose personal stories inspired over 70,000 online supporters.
This year the leading N-Peace awards category, Role Models for Peace, will recognize:
- Masuada Karokhi (Afghanistan) A Member of Parliament and staunch women’s rights campaigner
- Irene Santiago (The Philippines) A pioneering women’s rights advocate and peace maker
- Shashi Kumary Adhikary (Nepal) A devoted women’s rights activist and lawyer
- Thavachsri Charles Vijayaratnam (Sri Lanka) A grassroots social worker improving women’s lives
- Magdalena Bidau Soares (Timor-Leste) A guerrilla fighter for independence turned peace advocate
- Valentina Sagala (Indonesia) A women’s rights defender advancing laws against Gender Based Violence
Two special categories recognizing Male Advocates of Gender Equality and the next generation of Emerging Peace Champions will be awarded to Suprayoga Hadi (Indonesia), Deputy Minister and champion of women’s voices for peace building in Indonesia, and Rohaniza Usman (The Philippines) a youth peace leader in Mindanao.
N-Peace (Engage for Peace, Equality, Access, Community and Empowerment) is a multi-country initiative managed by UNDP, in partnership with Search for Common Ground, the Institute for Inclusive Security and supported by AusAID.
Email: email@example.com, Tel: +66 81 918 1564