Misako Konno was appointed as UNDP's Goodwill Ambassador in October 1998. Since becoming the Goodwill Ambassador, Ms. Konno paid official visits to Cambodia (May 1999 and August 2007), Palestine (July 2000), Bhutan (June 2001), Ghana (August 2003), Timor-Leste (July 2004), Viet Nam (August 2005), Mongolia (August 2006), Tanzania (August 2008) and Pakistan (July 2010) to promote UNDP’s activities locally as well as globally.
Six months since Haiyan, Konno donates money for Philippines rebuilding
Japanese actress and writer Misako Konno has donated 1 million yen (approximately US$ 10,200) to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to help rebuild the Philippines following devastating Typhoon Haiyan.
The announcement comes on the six month anniversary of the disaster, which killed over 6,200 people and displaced more than 4 million from their homes when it made landfall in the Philippines’ Eastern Samar province on 8 November last year. More than 1,000 people are still listed as missing.
“UNDP is doing a great deal to help the people of the Philippines who have been affected by this terrible storm,” said Ms. Konno today. “By helping to meet the immediate needs of affected communities, kick-start recovery through the removal of debris and waste, and generate emergency employment – they are helping to create conditions for long-term recovery and sustainable development. I am very proud of my association with UNDP. I hope that my contribution will draw attention to continued recovery efforts in the country and, combined with other donations from around the world, empower the people to build a resilient society.”
As well as donating her own money, Ms. Konno has also worked since the outset of the deadly storm to raise awareness about UNDP’s efforts to rebuild the devastated region.
“We are very thankful to Ms. Konno and her hard work as a Goodwill Ambassador - raising awareness about poverty and development issues,” said Maurice Dewulf, UNDP Philippines Country Director. “Her work to help make people aware of the devastation faced by those in the Philippines has been amazing. This sizable donation, combined with her long-term support for UNDP for many years now shows true dedication to the cause of sustainable development.”
Ms. Konno is one of many UNDP Goodwill Ambassadors who have helped raise awareness about the plight of communities affected by Haiyan – and efforts to rebuild and recover. In April, soccer stars Marta Vieira da Silva, Ronaldo and Zinédine Zidane joined a host of other well-known footballers in a benefit match – the 11th Match Against Poverty, which raised over US$ 190,000 for UNDP’s recovery efforts in the Philippines.
Misako Konno made her debut in 1979, appearing in various television programmes, movies and stage productions and is well-known in Japan, where she regularly delivers public lectures at schools and events advocating the importance of Japanese international cooperation. Since becoming a Goodwill Ambassador in 1998, Ms. Konno has paid official visits to many countries to promote UNDP’s activities. She recently published a book of essays “La La La Shinzentaishi (Goodwill Ambassador),” and is the longest-serving UNDP Goodwill Ambassador. Ms Konno received the Japan Writer's Prize in Women's Literary Category for her science essay "Sora Tobu Hotate" (“The Flying Scallop”) in 1995.
Cherie Hart, UNDP Regional Communications Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org +66 8 1 918 1564
- 27 Jul 2016:Top 'open government' initiatives from Asia Pacific showcased at regional dialogue
- 18 Jul 2016:From shorter bus queues to safer cities for women and girls, winners of the Big Ideas Competition announced
- 29 Jun 2016:Nicholas Rosellini: Speech On the occasion of the Special Event designating the Thailand Institute of Justice as an Institute of the United Nations Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Programme Network
Typhoon Haiyan: Six months on
- #SDG4: QUALITY EDUCATION - 08 days to Rio 2016 (português abaixo) "When you are part of the troop you don't notice somethings because you are in service, take your gun and go for your task. But at the administration I saw some policemen suffering with serious problems. The professionals are always judged by public opinion, but also need a more caring look at them. Three years ago, I started a campaign to collect adult diapers for a police officer who was shot and became paraplegic. After a lot of mobilization, we got almost a ton of diapers! (...) Education for me is the basis of everything. I have always searched to compementary income so that my children could study in good schools. They know what is the reality. When I take them to a handicapped friend, they see how life could be harder. Thank God I'm fine and, while I´m good, I'll keep doing good to others." – Lieutenant Silva, 52 years old ---- #ODS4: EDUCAÇÃO DE QUALIDADE - 08 dias para as Olimpíadas "Quando você é parte da tropa acaba não reparando, porque você entra em serviço, pega sua arma e vai cumprir sua etapa. Mas, na administração, vi que alguns policiais sofriam com problemas graves. Os profissionais são sempre muito julgados pela opinião pública, mas também precisam de um olhar mais cuidadoso sobre eles. Há três anos, comecei uma campanha para arrecadar fraldas geriátricas para um policial que foi baleado e ficou paraplégico. Após muita mobilização, conseguimos quase uma tonelada de fraldas! (...) Educação para mim é base de tudo. Sempre busquei complementar minha renda para que minhas filhas pudessem estudar em boas escolas. Elas sabem o que é a realidade. Quando as levo à casa de um colega cadeirante, elas vêem o quanto a vida poderia ser mais difícil. Graças a Deus estou bem e, enquanto estiver bem, vou continuar fazendo o bem." – Tenente da Silva, 52 anos #humansofrio #humansofmyworld #rio2016 PNUD Brasil United Nations Development Programme - UNDPUNDP in Latin America and the Caribbean SDG Action Campaign 4 hours ago
- GET 21 USD DOLLAR FREE TILL DATE 31-7-2016 AND EARN UNLIMITED MONEY FROM ANDROID MOBILE WITH OUT INVESTMENT 100% FREE APPLICATION KNOW AS CHAMPCASH. 1.OPEN PLAYSTORE ON YOUR ANDROID MOBILE TYPE CHAMPCASH INSTALL IT. 2.PUT REFF ID ..............2369328........ 3.INSTALL ALL APPLICATIONS 1 BY 1 AS GIVEN THERE ACCORDINGLY. 4.YOU WILL GET A LIST OF MAXIMUM 10 APP TO INSTALL AS SOON AS YOU COMPLETE THIS PROCESS YOUR CHAMPCASH APP WILL OPEN AND YOUR REFF ID WILL GET ACTIVE AND YOU GET 1$ BONUS. 5.THEN GO TO INVITE AND EARN AND START REFF OTHERS. 6.WE GET PAYMENT IN 3 WAYS 1.BANK ACCOUNT REDEEM IS MIN 10$. 2.RECHARGE LEAVING THE BONUS AMOUNT 1$ .MAX 50RS RECHARGE PER DAY. 3.WORLDS 1ST COMPANY WITH 100% FREE WITHOUT INVESTNMENT CONCEPT . NO LIABILITY NO MONEY ROTATION NO PRODUCT SELLING HOW DOES THE COMPANY GIVES MONEY WITHOUT TAKING ANY INVESTMENT ? ITS IS GENERATING MONEY FROM THE ADVERTISER WHICH YOU INSTALL ON YOUR MOBILES PUT REFF ID 2369328 ......... CALL OR WHATSAPP ............. Earn More Panel : ... Features : 1. You Will Earn Every time you Install App. 2. You will Earn Every time Your Team Members Install Any App. 3. You can redeem it Instantly. 4. You can Earn a Fixed Income through Earn More Panel. 5. We are First Company in World Who is Giving Re-Purchasing Income From team without Any investment. How Much You can Earn Through Earn More : Suppose You Have Team of 5000 Persons upto 7 levels and if 5000 persons installs 2 apps per week And if You gets Rs. 1 Per Person then You can Earn Rs. 10,000 Per week Very Easily. Apps Per Week : 2 Team : 5000 Persons Earning Per Person (Eg) for 2 Apps: Rs 2 Income Per Week : 5000x2 = Rs 10,000 Income Per Month : Rs. 40,000 ------------------------------------ Champcash Full Plan Powerpoint PPT in English : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2JS00lJgijXRkRxdHJrYXJVdms/view?usp=sharing ------------------------------- Champcash Full Plan Powerpoint PPT in Hindi : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2JS00lJgijXbHRTUlRGOURQOVE/view?usp=sharing Visit : http://champcash.com/2369328 Sponsor ID : 2369328 My what's app number is +91 9855022602 6 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook